Tuesday, August 26, 2003

swoop

I continue to be amazed at how quickly free books left in the hallway are snatched up here. Back when I had an office in the bowels of the building, where hardly anyone ever seemed to walk by, the books would still all disappear, eventually. I remember it took a teaching guide something like three weeks to go. Now that my office is located closer to the epicenter of sociological bustle, they all go and fast. Yesterday mid-morning I put out twelve books. By 4pm:



The remaining book was The Tangled Field, by Nathaniel Comfort, about the early geneticist Barbara McClintock. I wondered if that one would sit a bit out of people perhaps being less willing to take the last free book since they know it has been passed over by others. Nope, this morning when I got in it had also been taken.

No comments: