Wednesday, August 13, 2003

heart of darkness, coda 1

No messages from Mr. Mongosutu. Constance, however, has sent her responses to the end of our collaborative venture. To me, she writes:
Brother,

I can't say how disappointed I am that you have chosen not to trust Mr. Mongosutu. I felt that you had truly built a solid friendship with this man by email, and I can't help but think how hurt he is that you have decided to sever ties with him. Additionally, I am sad to say that now the children will not be able to have their toothbrushes - let alone the Crest Whitestrips I was going to get them for Christmas - and I don't know how I will tell them.

I know you have always been competitive with Dahlia, but I don't see why you had to ruin this for everyone.

Constance

Then, to Dahlia:

Dahlia,

I must say that your behavior during the past few days has been worrisome. It frightens me when you engage in self-destructive behavior, but at this point there isn't much I can do about it. I have to say that I am more than a little upset that your involvement in the Mongosutu affair has lead to the dissolution of our plans. The orphanage really needs the money, but I should have faith that God will pull us through somehow. It is just that the state of the children's dental health is so bad that sometimes I don't know what I can do.

I forgive you, as you know I always do. I will be praying for you and Jeremy. Please keep the children and I in your thoughts.

Your sister,

Constance

No comments: