Wednesday, August 06, 2003

heart of darkness, part 4 1/2

One of my trusted Spanish friends is now in touch with me, ready to help Mr. Mongosutu if need be:
-----Original Message-----

From: Constance Hawkins [mailto:constance_hawkins@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 2:10 PM
To: jfreese@ssc.wisc.edu
Subject: Greetings from Spain

Professor Freese,

I have learned of your need for a contact in Spain
from a mutual acquaintance of ours. Please let me
know what I can do to help you.

Connie

Curiously, Connie Hawkins was also the name of a basketball legend at my alma mater (the University of Iowa) before going on to play for the Harlem Globetrotters.

Addendum: Excerpt from the virtual conversation leading from the point of getting the person to agree to being my Spanish contact up to the selection of the name:

What would be a good assumed name for you? It should not be spanish, you should be an American who is over there for some reason.
tisha lacey anne therese viola caroline danielle roxy diane sandra molly
[pause]
constance
Do you want to be male or female?
oh! i hadn't even thougth of switching gender identities! i'm usually female when i role play. i think i might want to stay that way. recall how i think boys are stupid.
Constance Swingo, what about that? Either that or the name of someone in one of your twee pop bands (not too famous).
right, because soooo many twee pop bands are just crazy famous. swingo?
Why not Swingo?
is that even a name?
Probably not, nor is it Scrabble legal.
pick a better last name. i like constance.
[pause]
hurry up!
Hawkins
[pause--e-mail from constance_hawkins arrives]
Rock. That's a weblog entry, right there. But now I MUST get down to working. Well, after I get a Pepsi, but you know what I mean.

No comments: