Monday, December 08, 2003

what i'm reading (or, more accurately, what reading i'm buying)

After returning from my weekend in Chicago, I broke a personal record at Borders last night by buying seven new (non-remaindered) hardcover books. They are: Hiding the Elephant (a history of magic and magicians); Doubt (a history of skepticism); Everything and More (a history of infinity by David Foster Wallace); A Brief History of the Paradox (a history of philosophy); The Progress Paradox (a book about the mismatch between the historical changes in objective conditions and psychological well-being); The Chess Artist (a journalistic ethnography and history of chess players); and Unsettled: An Anthropology of the Jews (a "highly readable history of the Jewish experience"). Hmm, I think I'm on a history kick lately. I started Hiding the Elephant last night, but only got 15 pages into it before I fell asleep.

No comments: