Tuesday, December 09, 2003

bait-and-switch with david letterman

A loyal reader from Carson City, NV writes in to ask:
Since you tend to notice stuff like this, too, I thought I'd ask: Everytime I watch a star on a late-night talk show, they plug something. If that something is a film, there's always a clip to entice the viewer into shelling out ten bucks to see it. So here's the thing I wonder - why is the clip always an obvious showcase of the co-star's talents? I find this invariably to be the case, and it drives me crazy. What's the draw in this? Have you noticed this? I have asked many people, and they all look at me funny, like they have no idea what I'm talking about. Do you?
Alas, I hardly ever watch television, and I haven't seen more than ten episodes of either Leno or Letterman in the last 7-8 years. In none of them do I remember a film clip being shown. So I have no idea when the last time I saw a film clip on a talk show, but it was a long time ago. However, I post it here for readers to respond if this is a pattern that they too have noticed.

Update, 8PM: A reader from Plucky, UT writes: "It's pretty standard to bring a clip of a TV show or movie that you're plugging (unlike you, all i do is watch TV). a notable exception has been jim carrey who does not *always* use clips to showcase his talents. you can imagine why he would be a great candidate for non-clip appearances, given his overwhelming live presence. other actors, though, like meryl streep, who are actually great actors, would probably want to use the clip to advertise themselves because, hey, that's what they do best. they act." Ah, but you've misread the post--the claim is that when Meryl Streep brings a clip, it actually showcases her co-star and not Meryl Streep.

No comments: