Thursday, April 08, 2004

iNsomnia and iTunes, continued



Okay, so I'm up late tonight for no good reason, and I was reading an article online about the music industry that made reference to how music sales in 2003 ended up not being as bad as record executives feared, due to the sales of Justin Timberlake and 50 Cent. While the Super Bowl halftime show filled my Timberlake quota, I thought I would investigate what all this "50 Cent" fuss among the youth of America was about. I have seen pictures of him and certainly seen him mentioned many times, but being radio-free in this millenium, I had never actually any heard songs by him.

Two minutes and two dollars later, and I downloaded the two best-selling 50 Cent songs on iTunes, entitled "21 Questions" and "P.I.M.P." I bought the versions with the EXPLICIT warning, figuring they best reflect the true vision and aspiration of the artist unconstrained by some the relentlessly puritan forces of society. I first listened to "21 Questions" and thought, well, even though this isn't really my thing, it has a certain rogue-ish sweetness to it, I can see the appeal. And, so, then, perhaps somewhat with my guard down, I clicked to play "P.I.M.P.". Conclusion: If one believes the children are the future, then I give the future twenty years, tops. I don't mean to sound curmudgeonly but, Dear God, we are all doomed. I believe--and I'm really trying not to be overly dramatic here--that I may well have been psychologically damaged by this song, like a three-year-old that walks in on his parents and familial pets in some sweaty contorted compromising position.

On the positive music recommendation side, two contradictory-themed songs that are currently spending a lot of time spinning on the iTunes-turntable here in the RV: "Romantic Comedy" by the Stars and "Falling Out of Love With You" by The 6ths. Meanwhile, I am even more acutely than usual looking for good music recommendations, so please pass them along.

No comments: