Saturday, April 24, 2004

(diet update) temporarily thwarted, but i remain determined

I don't think the Cheese and Nut ... and Hot Chocolate diet is working. The scale would certainly not suggest progress (or, more accurately, regress). I don't know if it's the Hot Chocolate or the macadamia nuts that are ruining things. Perhaps the millennia of wisdom suggesting that macadamia nuts are not good diet food is, in fact, correct. Perhaps part of the problem is that it's hard to stop at just one macadamia nut. Or ten.

Plus, macadamia nuts are expensive, which reminds me of an exchange I had in Whole Foods yesterday. I buy the macadamia nuts there from their Bulk Foods Dispensing System, which means I press the lever to pour nuts out of a bin into a plastic bag, and then I take a twist tie and write the number corresponding to macadamia nuts on the twist tie for the cashier to enter as s/he weighs them.

Yesterday, my twist tie had fallen off and I didn't realize this until I was checking out. The cashier asked me if I remembered the number. I said what I thought was the macadamia nut number. The nuts rang up as $2.49 a pound. Macadamia nuts are like $13 a pound. I didn't notice this on the screen until he had finished scanning all my items and said the total.

"That can't be right. I must have given you the wrong number."
"What?"
[looking at the monitor] "Macadamia nuts are way more expensive than $2.50 a pound. I must have misremembered the number."
Then, the guy behind me in line interjects: "Yes, macadamia nuts are quite expensive. If they were only $2.50 a pound I would get them much more often."

So then the cashier has to look up the number, and for the rest of the transaction he is giving me this deeply suspicious look, like he had caught me trying to cheat the Whole Foods Conglomerate out of their proper nut premium. I wanted to shout, "I was the one who called the error to your attention! Stop making me wish I had just kept my mouth shut and hightailed out of here with some ill-gotten nuts!"

Anyway, I don't know what I'm going to be doing food-wise now. Maybe trying to eat stuff that is generally agreed-upon as healthy and not high in calories, or something similarly radical. I don't know.

No comments: