Tuesday, August 24, 2004

another money-making opportunity brought to you by jfw

Confession: For a couple months now, I have contracted the services of a personal chef.

How it works: On Mondays, she comes over to the RV and cooks me four different entrees, in portions large enough that they eat make more than one meal unless I eat pathologically. The reason: I don't really cook, and I wanted to have some combination of food that was simultaneously convenient, healthy, and delicious enough to avert me from some of the less healthy culinary abysms I can readily fall into. The cost: about $100 each week I do it (this is labor + food; the latter is less expensive than it might otherwise be because everything she makes for me is vegetarian). Note: This is the kind of indulgence one can do when one has a professional job, only one mouth to feed and not an otherwise particularly costly or interesting life.

The results: scrumptious, so far. Sometimes a dish doesn't really work for me, but then I tell her and it's off the list of possible repeats. The woman does wonders with tofu, and makes some mean veggie quesadillas and sweet potato ravioli, among other things.

I have talked about this with a couple of single female friends who have said that they have a different problem, which is that they very much love to cook, but hate to cook for only one person and so do not do it nearly as much as they would like. Thus, an unmet market need for: the personal eater. One would contract to go around and eat at the abodes of various professionals-with-mad-kitchen-skillz who love to cook but have trouble securing an audience for it. I'd go into this line of work myself, except I'm too finicky an eater and way too shy/awkward/boring to provide adequate dinner conversation with strangers. But if you are a charming omnivore, this could be your calling.

7 comments:

Vicky Simpleton said...

Boring? You have got to be kidding me.

Drek said...

I just want to weigh-in as a male with the cooking problem. I enjoy cooking, but since my roomie started spending so much time over at his girlfriend's place I only have myself to cook for. (The old deal was I cook, he does the dishes, and everyone is happy) I just kinda decided to teach myself to cook in college since I didn't want to be part of that whole, "Single male who eats Mac 'n Cheese or cold cereal every night" stereotype.

No offense, Jeremy.

Good thing for me I'm fine with culinary monotony since I can eat for 2-4 days off of any given meal.

Drek said...

I just want to weigh-in as a male with the cooking problem. I enjoy cooking, but since my roomie started spending so much time over at his girlfriend's place I only have myself to cook for. (The old deal was I cook, he does the dishes, and everyone is happy) I just kinda decided to teach myself to cook in college since I didn't want to be part of that whole, "Single male who eats Mac 'n Cheese or cold cereal every night" stereotype.

No offense, Jeremy.

Good thing for me I'm fine with culinary monotony since I can eat for 2-4 days off of any given meal.

jeremy said...

kef: Trust me, when dining with strangers I'm about as Dullsville as a dinner guest as one can imagine, with the saving grace that I often come across as a good listener. I astonish myself at how inept I can be at table conversation.

drek: I'm sure a suitably professional professional eater would be willing to take you on as a cooking client, although they would charge extra if you wanted them to wash the dishes.

Drek said...

Woah. What is up with that double posting?

jeremy said...

Blogger's been doing a lot of that lately, both with posts and with comments.

dorotha said...

i've just begun a food co-op with my neighbors. we take turns cooking for each other. part of the deal is that there is always enough food for leftovers. another part of the deal is that everything must be vegan. it has been working out pretty well.