Sunday, February 01, 2004

widely reported

Your humble blogger was recently accused by one of his former students of being unable/unwilling ever to admit that he is wrong. While I may be in error about this, I believe the accusation is contradicted by a rolling roster of retractions I have provided over the years. And here is another: when I moved from Indiana to Wisconsin, I remember reading in something that I thought was a reliable source that Wisconsin had the highest per capita rates of obesity in the United States. I wondered if simply making the move from there to here was going to result in a precipitous weight gain. Anyway, I have repeated this claim about Wisconsin being #1 in obesity probably dozens of times to other people. Instead, an investigation this evening shows that not only does Wisconsin not have the highest rates of obesity, it doesn't even have higher rates of obesity than Indiana!

No comments: