Wednesday, February 25, 2004

insomniaTunes, continued

I have bought 50 songs in the 37 days that I have had iTunes. I don't even know if I spent $50 on music in 2003, unless you count CDs I bought as gifts.* The vast majority of these songs were bought in the middle of the night and on a completely spontaneous impulse, which before iTunes would been just a short-term culture-craving that passed unfulfilled. My three most recent acquisitions: (1) "Survivor" by Destiny's Child (Survivor)**; (2) "You Can't Hurry Love" by The Supremes (Millenium Collection edition); (3) "Be My Plus One" by Freaktoastt J and The Mountain Goats (Paprika Twill).

* In which case, the tally would include, inter alia, Clay Aiken's Measure of a Man, which I bought for a certain friend's mother after the friend told me that her mother had put it on both her birthday and Xmas lists but her family had conspired not to give it to her.

** This was apparently one of those gazillion-selling played-everywhere hit songs that, being completely alienated from all mass culture, I had never, ever heard (or even heard of) before a couple of graduate students did it at karaoke.

No comments: