Saturday, June 12, 2004

evidence of how, at 99 cents a song, iTunes allows one to indulge whatever strange and ephemeral music-buying whims strike


(e-mailed receipt of purchases made in the last 24 hours)


(abovelisted songs in my Purchased Music folder)

My theory about "Always on my Mind" (selected lyrics at bottom) has forever been that she hasn't actually always on his mind at all. Instead, he has spent the vast majority of his time with other things and other women on his mind, but then, after taking her for granted and tromping upon her kindnesses for months on end, only then, having finally squandered all the enormous enthusiasm and affection she once felt for him, he tries to make everything all-at-once better by claiming that--even though absolutely nothing in his preceding observable behavior would indicate this--she was in fact constantly prominent in his thoughts. And she falls for it. You wonder if when she was a kid she had one of those noncustodial parents who disappears for long periods of time and then comes back and tries to make up for it with all kinds of presents, promises, trips to Chuck E. Cheese.

But anyway, after repeatedly and closely listening to various different renditions of "Always on my Mind," I have concluded that this theory is incorrect and that she has indeed been right there front-and-center on his mind all along. Especially Elvis's, and even while he was on the soundstage doing all those awful films.

---

Maybe I didn’t treat you
Quite as good as I should have
Maybe I didn’t love you
Quite as often as I could have
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time

[But, hey, um:] You were always on my mind

Maybe I didn’t hold you
All those lonely, lonely times
And I guess I never told you
I’m so happy that you’re mine
If I make you feel second best
Girl, I’m sorry I was blind

[No, really, I'm serious:] You were always on my mind

No comments: