Wednesday, May 26, 2004

ann versus the market: a money making opportunity?

I have never watched a single episode of American Idol. However, I have stayed surprisingly on top of developments in each of the three seasons. Last season, it was all the grad students in my methods class talked about before class began. This season, it has been the crackerjack weekly reporting on various weblogs. Before, these weblogs have only offered entertainment in providing post-episode analyses, but now, a chance for real cash has arisen.

Ann has predicted that Diana is more likely to win than Fantasia. I have absolutely no idea whether Ann is right or not, since--again--I've never seen the show, but her previous analyses of episodes have seemed astute. So, say you take Ann's comment as meaning that she gives Diana a 60% chance of winning, to Fantasia's 40%. Presently on TradeSports, you can wager/speculate (depending on whether you see it as gambling or as futures trading) on the outcome of the AI voting, and the market-estimated probability is presently that Fantasia has an 80% probability of winning, compared to Diana's 20%. See this table taken from the TradeSports site:



Here's what this means: You can log onto TradeSports right now and for $2.10 (and multiples thereof) buy a "share" betting on Diana to win. If Diana does win, you get $10 for that win, minus like a dime in transactions costs to the TradeSports site. If Ann's assessment is correct, a share of Diana is actually worth $6 (since $6/$10 = 60%). For $210, you can place a bet that, if Ann's assessment is right, is really worth $600. So you are $390 ahead, just like that. (Actually, after the voting, you will either be $790 ahead or $210 behind, but given that Ann's assessment is that it is more likely you will be $790 ahead than $210 behind, a normative economist would say you'd have to be irrationally risk averse not to jump on this).

All this time, you've been feeling guilty about the "wasted" time you spend reading weblogs. Here, you are offered an opportunity that is tantamount to me showing you how to print fully legal tender out of your laser printer. As Alec Baldwin says in Glengarry Glen Ross, the money is there: "Will you take it? Are you man enough to take it?"*

* JFW is not responsible for any fortunes lost following finance-related or other recommendations offered on JFW. Indeed, while JFW does reserve the right to take credit if such action turns out positively, JFW also reserves the right to taunt if it doesn't.

1 comment:

fashion king said...

"All the shoes are not healthy!" Galahad? Clark phrase thrown hard, then suddenly grabbed a lot in the media layout. Is surprising, not only because he is stunned, but also because of his identity: He is an international shoe brands Clark, a member of the family, but also shareholders.vibram shoes The family shoe business has gone through 180 years of history. Galahad is actually out now: the shoes is a big problem, it is time to walk barefoot! Severing of this person? In fact now, the West is beginning to wind blowing barefoot, some entertainment stars, fashion shoes off, take to the streets wearing toe shoes; and some leading enterprises in the footwear industry are competing to launch five fingers shoes. Is walking barefoot is really more in line with scientific and more beneficial to health? Supporters said the shoes hurt your feet. Galahad claimed that the best way is to walk barefoot,Vibram Surge so that direct contact with the ground pin; feet wrapped in leather, plastic or rubber, the natural movement of impeding his legs, more harm than good. He is not the only people who hold this view, and this view scientific source. Anthropologists found that the oldest shoe in 9000 years ago, the shoes of human history can be traced back 40,000 years ago, but it is from human to wear shoes, the feet suffered a catastrophe. Toe shoes in the Beijing 2011 China International Health Conference, a trade show exhibitors attract an audience out of the toe shoes, curiosity, and its sole design according to the human foot and five toes can be worn separately go, bring walking barefoot fresh feeling. Gloves are the first four fingers together, then separated. A few years ago, there are separate toes socks, my daughter gave me bought one, that no athlete's foot can be put on after something does not feel uncomfortable, like being stuffed between the fingers thing.vibram five fingers In addition, it is cumbersome to wear. Now we have a sub-toe shoes, wear them do not know whether the trouble. People is the way patterns are constantly renovated, and now the goods are fresh and work hard to meet people's curiosity psychology. Things have been very easy to complicate it, just like the shoes. Clothing, housing, shoes, an essential requirement is that people, when people reach a certain level of material life,the right shoes on the constantly rising demands.