Monday, May 03, 2004

accolades

Last year, I was told by someone that a [mercifully, small] group of graduate students had selected me as The Sociology Professor Who Could Profit Most From An Appearance on Extreme Makeover. Today, I was told by someone that another [mercifully, small, and possibly overlapping with its predecessor] group of sociology graduate students had selected me as The Sociology Professor Who Seems Most Like He Sleeps In A Car And Goes Without Showering For Several Days. I have no idea what this means, exactly, but I suspect it is not flattering. I will say that: (1) an RV is not a "car" and (2) I shower every day, often twice a day. I was told that the "showering" honor comes from the fact that my hair is often tousled, and yet, when graduate students imitate me, a staple of such imitations is that I often clutch at or mess up my hair when I speak, which you would think would explain its touseled-ness to them.

Who knows what further honors await?

No comments: