Friday, May 19, 2006

i'm sure i'll love your band just as soon as y'all sell out

My favorite Hüsker Dü* song is "Could You Be The One?" I had already formed this opinion did I learn they recorded this song after they sold out and sucked. It's the same for how I think the Replacements' Tim is their best album, but turns out this was actually their first album after selling out, and instead Let It Be is their best album and indeed one of the best albums of all time. Who knew? Apparently many people, all very hip, but not me with my little walkman and tapes back in the day.

I am not sure what it says about me that I like indie bands, but especially what they do after they stop trying to be so indie or just plain stop being indie. I'm like one of those people who likes ethnic restaurants, so long as they aren't too authentically ethnic.

* I'm writing this while in the midst of way too much of a rush to worry about inserting the umlauts over the u's, and yet I do. I'm not a fan of the board game Hüsker Dü, although I like that it is Danish for "Do you Remember?", except that I had misremembered and thought it was Norwegian instead. So I guess I Hüsker Doont.

Update: Tom's favorite HüDü song is also "Could You Be the One?", although at least he's cool enough to have it on vinyl.

7 comments:

carly said...

Just so you know, "husker du?" is actually both Danish and Norwegian, and the phrase doesn't actually have any umlauts. The band just added them because they thought it looked cooler.

jeremy said...

While I don't want to argue with you about anything Scandanavian, have you ever seen a Husker Du game box? I'm pretty sure there is something over the u's. These may have been added to help American kids keep from pronouncing the first word so as to sound like the University of Nebraska nickname.

carly said...

A little googling revealed that there are lines over the u's which might be construed as umlauts. So the game has something, yeah, but still, you know, in Norwegian/Danish there's no dots. In fact, there are no dots over any u's in any of the Scandinavian languages. It's really a German thing.

jeremy said...

Yes, German. In fact, "umkraut" is a ethnic slur sometimes hurled at German phonologists.

Anonymous said...

yer not alone in loving the latter stages of creative output -- the denouement, i suppose. i bleed husker blu, but find myself singing warehouse as much as anything else these days (right now i'm hearing: she lifted her arms and she floated away and i can see her loading boxes in my mind/ into a belvedere with a trailer towed behind). i guess it would be completely geeking out to suggest grant hart's 2541 ep at this point, but it is strong stuff. as for the replacements, i can find gems in tim and all that was released thereafter.

i can't help but think of the parallels in academic careers (e.g., uggen was good until he got weird). do you think people will enjoy your lesser known latter works in 2035? i'd like to think that i'll still have something interesting to say even when people have stopped paying much attention.

Brady said...

My issues with Tim come from the fact that it sounds like it was mixed underwater by a deaf and lethargic orangutan.

This is why you should never let ex-Ramones mix your records. They don't hear too good.

jeremy said...

Chris: Love the Husker Blu line. I am vastly more fond of the Mould-written HD songs than the Hart-written ones. They just resonate with me more.

Brady: I promise I will not allow any ex-Ramones to mix any of my albums.