Sunday, May 14, 2006

(en route) eastern seaboard booty call

(Written Saturday night; posted Sunday)

I am writing on the train from Philly to Boston. This is the last train of the night. We just left New Haven. Just as the train was about to leave the station, a twentiesish man rushed into my car, drenched with sweat and completely out of breath. He collapsed into the first seat by the door and sat there for maybe three full minutes just heaving in all the oxygen he could, like he had just finished running five miles at a full sprint. Then, he pulled out his cel phone. His side of the conversation:

"I'm on the train."
"Baby, you have no idea what I have just been through."
"I am on the train."
"Baby, I'm telling you, I am on the train."
"Well, if you don't believe me, you should still come down to the station at 10:30, because you'll see someone with a green jacket and big black bag."
"Yes, I'm really on the train."
"Okay, I'll see you at 10:30."

No comments: