Thursday, November 11, 2004

Guest blogging privileges soon to be revoked?

Dispatch from Nina:

The air waves between JFW and Ocean (my blog) have been thick and steamy lately and so I missed the signal indicating that a guest blogger typically blogs about their own take on things rather than commenting on the author of the host blog (and his eating habits, for example). Doing my research (after the fact, but so what), I now find that most guest bloggers add balance to the hosting blog.

I get it now. I am to be the not funny element on JFW (this will be a cinch!). Guest bloggers are in place so that the audience craves the return of the original blogger (who is typically having a grand time watching the guest do exotic and ridiculous things that make the host look finer by the minute). No wonder I was asked to take part.


10 comments:

jeremy said...

Thick and steamy? Yes, I'm as puzzled by that characterization as you-the-reader probably are.

Anonymous said...

sure you are.

nina said...

We're talking ocean talk here: mists, fogs, steam rising from the water. Isn't that the proper imagery for a blog that calls itself "the other side of the ocean"?

Anonymous said...

you could hardly say that bringing poland into it isn't your unique take on things.

Anonymous said...

I looked at the Other Side of the Ocean and I noticed you do not allow comments there. I think you should let jeremy post on your blog so he can get back at you for all the ways you can poke fun at him here. In fact, I think you are too tame. Go for it!

Tonya said...

I think the reference to "thick and steamy" was a Freudian slip.

nina said...

Tonya, take a look at the face painted on the front page herein. Does it look to you as if the author of JFW needs any more puffery? Shame on you. As a lawyer, I'm all about the PMR (plain meaning rule): if the literal interpretation works, you need look no further.

jeremy said...

Given Nina's problems with word selection, I'm not sure if when she says you should look at my picture and decide whether I could stand any more puffery, she's basically insinuating that I'm fat. I can't believe I invite her to guest post and then she starts blogging about how fat I've become. Thanks, Nina.

nina said...

Jeremy, think PMR. Merriam-Webster: puffery: "exaggerated commendation especially for promotional purposes : HYPE." Personally, I would have preferred pleasantly plump over that.

Tonya said...

Hmmm. You two are protesting just a bit too much in response to my reference to Freud. I think that I have hit on a nerve.

And, Nina, please don't try to discourage me from flattering Jeremy. He is the only single man I know who is both over 25 years old and not one of my students. As a result, he is the beneficiary of all my womanly charms. These charms are slight and a bit outdated, but what the hell.

Jeremy, how are things coming along with those guitar lessons?