Monday, October 18, 2004

that's it! i've had it with his wanton cruelty!

Over the weekend, I learned of someone who used to read my blog, but then stopped immediately-and-forever upon reading this post. Specifically, they canceled their JFW subscription because they felt I was being unforgivably "mean" to Professor Sue by linking to her website. For one thing, the person didn't even follow the link to see that he was mistaken about me linking to ProfessorSue.net at all; instead, while I can see why someone would think it was a link to her site, it was actually just a link to an earlier post of mine that has nothing to do with Prof. Sue.. For another, if you read the post, you might wonder how exactly providing a link to another person's site, without any particular comment about it, would be "mean." I'm not sure if the person regards the site as in some way self-evidently embarrassing (I don't), and so I am being "mean" to Professor Sue by calling the attention of others to her site. Really, I just don't get it. Anyway, this would be one of those episodes of somebody getting offended by something on my weblog that I would adjudge to be Not My Problem, and I note it here merely as an another example of the weird-and-unanticipated ways you can anger people out there if you have a weblog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm angered by your criticism of the Animals & Society section. Not that it's your problem.

jeremy said...

At least if you are angry with me for that, it's true that I am actually critical of the Animals & Society section. As opposed to being angry with me over linking to Professor Sue, where I'm not critical of her at all.

tina said...

Puppy hater.

jeremy said...

Everybody always assumes that someone who is skeptical of the Animals & Society section has a problem with the "Animals" part, as opposed to the "Society" part. Why doesn't anyone ever call me a society hater?

Anonymous said...

Society hater.