Thursday, September 11, 2003

number one? us?

A Sports Illustrated online story ranks Madison, Wisconsin sa the #1 college sports town in the United States. Really? I lived across the street from the football stadium for 2 1/2 years and I wouldn't have thought this. Fabulous, fabulous college town, yes, but great college sports town?

The article concludes its section on Madison by saying "Madison is a town where everyone you meet is your friend as long as you know those nine magic words: How ya think the Badgers will do this year?" First of all, I wouldn't even be sure if someone who asked me this question was asking about football, basketball, or (maybe) hockey. Second, no one has ever asked me this question, or any variant thereof, the whole time that I have lived here. Promise. And, if someone did ask me, I would probably try to stammer out an answer, but I wouldn't automatically consider them my friend.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try an experiment where I will go up to strangers and ask "How ya think the Badgers will do this year?" and then follow it up with "Are you my friend?" If I do, I'll report back with the results.

No comments: