Tuesday, March 27, 2007

lost!

So, in a recent post, I fretted about having completely forgotten about having read a book--not just not remembering I had read it but not even being able to remember having read it after looking at my own underlining and margin notes inside it. I mean, forgetting you'd read something is one thing, but looking through it again and at one's markings and still having it remain resolutely foreign, that's another. Now, the kicker: a friend just e-mailed reminding me that, in fact, I've posted before about having opened up this very same book and having no recollection of ever having read it, but I had forgotten all about having done this. So I read the book, forgot about reading it, forgot about having already once marveled about having forgotten all about reading it.

Fortunately, at least, I did remember writing the earlier post once I was reminded of it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might consider a more consistent exercise plan, and adopting a healthier diet. Don't worry about calories -- worry more about supplying your body with needed minerals and vitamins. A little fat might help you, if you can get out and oxygenate through a consistent exercise plan.

Nevermind marathons, set aside an hour a day to clear your head walking outdoors? The city and the travelling may not be so healthy as all that, and I suspect a more routine lifestyle with consistent eating and exercise patterns would pay off for you. If things like this don't worry you -- and it just seems fun to play absent-minded professor, maybe friends or family would be concerned on your behalf.

Anonymous said...

This year at ASA, I'm going to get a bunch of your friends together and we're going to stand around you in a circle, holding hands and swaying gently and singing "[I Love You] Just the Way You Are." Maybe Andy Abbott will join us...

Kieran said...

Obviously, this book induces a kind of fractal reading problem. You read a bit, but each time you look closer the whole book is there again, still unread. So you read a bit more ... etc. It's a way of validating the book's thesis.

jeremy said...

RPS: Actually, I may have a different scheme for ASA, but more on that later.

Kieran: I had a similar experience when I read back issues of Zeno's Paradox comics. I always seem to stop halfway through.

Kieran said...

But they're such good value for money! You only need to buy one issue.

Eszter said...

Now you're scaring me. Anon is right, there are friends out there who are getting a bit concerned.

Anonymous said...

Thank you eszter. We all have different ways of supporting and caring. And we recognize different signs, if you know what I mean.

Just please, don't encourage him to indulge in pastries and sugar. "What?" Sugar, don't encourage him.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but I must interrupt this thread.

A+ -- where are you?

I'm watching stupid AI now and I soooooo miss your input. Please find a new venue for your informed, insightful and much appreciated opinions.

~pj