Sunday, July 30, 2006

through

Chris has a post about failing Ph.D. qualifying exams that is certainly worth reading if one is a graduate student who hasn't yet passed through that hoop, but is also of historical interest for anyone specifically affiliated with the Wisconsin sociology Ph.D. program.

I admire Chris his honesty, his perseverence, and his meticulous record keeping (that he was able to produce the documents scanned for his post). I used to have a folder called "Bitter Mementoes" that contained records of rejections and failures of various kinds, but I realize now I've lost track of it. Then again, I suppose most additions from recent years would be electronic and so are on my hard drive as well as scalded into my brain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

our prelim system sucks. why didn't they change it when they had the system review committee?