Thursday, July 13, 2006

so, jeremy can't sleep tonight once again. what's he going to do?



Tonight's diversion: listening to "You're So Vain" eight or nine times in a row. While simultaneously reading the dictionary definition of meek and trying to decide which of the three definitions is more the problem that leads me to be ridiculously nonassertive in some situations, including occasions where it's not even in the interest of the person to whom I'm being milquetoasty. Regardless, I've always felt a twinge of righteous-bitter identification with the lyric "I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee" even though I have no idea what it is supposed to mean and I don't even drink coffee.

There's also the line about going up to Nova Scotia and seeing the total eclipse of the sun. I should really be availing myself of some opportunity to go northward during my time out here other than just the drive to Montreal. Clouds in my coffee, clouds in my Coke Zero.

And, even if we all know it's a lie about the meek inheriting the earth, at least they can pretend while everyone else is asleep.

Update: AK notes in the comments the theory that YSV is about Mick Jagger. There's also a Warren Beatty school of thought. Simon has revealed at different times that the person has an A, E, and R in his name, which leaves both Beatty and Jagger as suspects. It does eliminate me, which is just as well, as it would have required pervy time travel for Carly Simon to write how she had been lovers "several years ago, when I was still naive" and be talking about a man who was less than a year old himself.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeremy, sometimes your posts move me.

Tonya said...

Maybe we really should get married. I'm having trouble finding a meek man that I can tell what to do and boss around.

Jeremy, give me your paycheck and shut the f**k up!

or better yet . . .

Jeremy, go do the yardwork but first make me a martini!

Yeah, I like the sound of that . . .

jeremy said...

I am probably meek enough to hand over my paycheck and serve up martinis. But yardwork? No way.

Anonymous said...

I bet there are better reasons to marry Jeremy than because he is meek. Funny, for example. Smart. Generous.

jeremy said...

Health insurance. US citizenship.

Anonymous said...

Health insurance? I'm in. First let me get rid of this husband.

jeremy said...

Not only do I have health insurance, but I currently have the health insurance with the #1 rated plan by Consumer Reports (Harvard Pilgrim). I'll only have this for another year, though, so snap me up and get sick quick.

Anonymous said...

No spouse necessary for Citizenship. You can gain Permanent Resident status through work and then apply for U.S. Citizenship a few years later.

jeremy said...

I hate when people undermine my marital selling points.

Anonymous said...

isn't it easier to get citizenship through marriage than work?

dorotha said...

certainly seems easier to get health insurance through marriage than through work. at least in my case. hey, jeremy, don't forget that i already have epilepsy. doesn't that put me ahead of tonya in the running?

AK said...

You're so vain is one of the best songs ever! Why has no one ever done it at Karaoke? I would if I could sing it (too low). Is it really about Mick Jagger?

Anonymous said...

j, if you're seeing clouds in your coke zero, you might want to check the expiration date - it might have gone bad! ;-) (either that, or uhm, get some sleep) hehe

-sr

carly said...

AK: I'm practicing for "You're so vain" for karaoke right now. I, too, reading this post realized it's a fantastic karaoke song. And, you know, Ms. Simon and I, like, have the same name.

dorotha said...

i think someone did it once... someone who is already gone from the program. molly maybe?

dorotha said...

but that doesn't mean the song can't be sung again!

jeremy said...

I've seen it done at the Karaoke Kid, but I don't remember if it was by someone in sociology or not.

Ang said...

I feel like it was sung by a random woman.

I just saw someone on VH1 claim that it was about James Taylor. I had never heard that theory before.

I also just found out this month that Carly Simon is the daughter of the Simon in Simon & Schuster. Man.

Anonymous said...

I always thought it was about James Taylor.

--A different Anon--

dorotha said...

carly and RWS are in training for this song?!?!? does this mean we will hear it twice or that they will have some sort of duel to the death to determine who will get to sing?

carly said...

You only get to hear it twice if I sing it first. Because, you see, if I sing it first, it makes RWS sound good. If she sings it first, it makes me look bad. We want everyone looking good here.

If only one can sing it, I get priority because of the name thing.

Or we could have a duel. I'm down with that.