Sunday, June 11, 2006

news from home

broken stoplight
(Thanks to special JFW correspondent Paulette for this photo of my hometown's temporary/permanent solution to its problem.)

My hometown has one stoplight. Now it's broken. Although I have no expertise in urban planning, in my estimation there has not been enough traffic at that intersection to justify a stoplight in at least twenty years. So I'm curious as to whether they will fix the stoplight or just convert it to having a stop sign instead. Taking the stoplight away from a one-stoplight small town is sort of like taking the keys away from an elderly driver; they might as well change the motto on the sign when you enter the town from "Celebrate Country Life" to "Waiting To Die."

BTW, before I had this blog and instead just had a colorful website, I used to update a "Hometown Pride" page.

5 comments:

jennifer said...

No way... broken? And it's the only stoplight in the entire county, as far as I remember...

jeremy said...

Is it the only stoplight in the county? I'm trying to remember.

jennifer said...

I think it is... my son did a report on Calhoun County, and the papers he received said that Manson had the only one - this was last year, I think...

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is the only stop light in the county.

I love the hometown pride page! It is how I found JF and the wonderful world of Madison bloggers.
~pj

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile, as you may have noticed --- back in Harvard Sq. everybody just ignores the stoplights ('specially pedestrians!).

ocw