Sunday, January 16, 2005

john jacob jeremyheimer freese, his name is my name too


(Jeremy Freese?)

Perhaps when I am an old man, I will launch a painstaking Internet inquiry into my genealogy. Until then, I'm content just with the matter of using the Internet to Googlestalk other Jeremy Freeses. I've just sent an e-mail regarding a possible recent sighting of a new quarry:
From: Jeremy Freese [mailto: address deleted ] 

Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 11:26 PM
To: 'thevirginsurgeons@hotmail.com'
Subject: freese or frese
My name is Jeremy Freese.  Like many Americans armed with Google, I keep 

casual track of other people who have the same name as mine. A friend
sent me the URL to your site. Your front page lists "Jeremy 'Jesus'
Freese" as a band member, while another page lists "Jeremy John Frese".
Which is it?
Either way, I wish your band wild success and continued abstinence.  

Except, I suppose, if your name really is "Jeremy Freese" and your band does
become wildly successful, various "Jeremy Freese" fan sites dedicated to you
will spring up and knock down the placement of my own pages for people who try
to Google me. So, in truth, if your name really is "Jeremy Freese", my
wish is actually that either your band fails completely, or that it kicks you
out on its way to success, or that do you go through with the idea of changing
your name to "Jesus." But you shouldn't take this personally.
--Jeremy
Postscript: The message came bouncing back, which I suppose one would expect from a band site without anything updated for the past two years. So, anyway, my Google supremacy among the various Jeremy Freeses of the world, real and misspelled, seems safe for now.

4 comments:

dorotha said...

color me weirded out. by you? by this odd drunken drummer/bassist/whatever? not sure. i just know that i feel vaguely uncomfortable.

Ann Althouse said...

When I first glanced at this, I thought you were going to say it was you as a teenager. I looked at it for a while and tried to see that. Just one of the many ways I've consumed time today that ought to be spent grading exams.

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest that you ask each Jeremy how he pronounces "Freese"? As you know, there are numerous ways to say it, and it would be of interest to those of us who share the spelling, but not the pronunciation.

Anonymous said...

Remember those bullet casings on the ground outside? Might have been "Jesus."