Sunday, January 02, 2005

2004 JFW award, most inscrutable song that iTunes says I listened to more than 100 times this year

This took some deliberation, as I was surprised at the number of songs I've listened to more than 100 times. The winner, however, is "Maps" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I apparently listened to this song 113 times in 2004, and yet, still, I have no freaking clue what it is supposed to be about. Here are the lyrics to the chorus:
Wait.
They don't love you like I love you
Wait.
They don't love you like I love you
Ma-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ps
Wait.
They don't love you like I love you
Of course, I know full well that the verses usually are what carry the narrative weight of a song. Toward the goal of illuminating matters, then, here are the two verses of "Maps":
Pack up
I'm strange enough
Oh say say say you'll
Say say say you'll
Say say say you'll
Say say say you'll
Say say say

(chorus)

Made off
Don't stray
My kinds, your kind
I'll stay the same
Pack up
But don't stray
Oh say say say
I'll say say say

(chorus)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You listened to that 113 times? Dude, you're a freak!

jeremy said...

More like: You listened to that song 113 times and are willing to admit to it on your blog? Dude, you are a freak!

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected, Your Freakship.

Brady said...

I could be a big freak and tell you what the song is about.

But that would prove beyond a doubt that I am a sad, little freak who reads too much Rolling Stone, SPIN, Mojo, Magnet, and so forth.

jeremy said...

Tell me! Tell me!

tina said...

I love this song! It's a love song to her former boyfriend. Travels take them apart, and it ruins their relationship. So sad.

Wait, does that mean I'm a sad, little freak? As Dorotha would say: whatever.

Welcome back, Jeremy. You can still drop by the Pub anytime.

jeremy said...

Thanks! So, is her boyfriend's name "Maps"? The song would make much more sense if her boyfriends name was Maps.