Thursday, September 30, 2004

brief assessment

Was it just me, or did Kerry completely kick ass in the debate? Wait, I watched it with Nina, and she thought Kerry kicked ass too. But who are we? Wait, I just called my Mom out on the farm in Iowa. She says Kerry kicked ass as well, and she can't understand how anyone could have watched the debate and felt different. "It was like he just kept saying the same three things over and over again, and other than that he didn't have anything to say."

I mean, if the two of them were the final contenders for CEO, and that was there performance on an interview about the strategic direction for the company, there would not even be a need for the board to discuss which of them was going to be offered the position.

I'm excited. Kerry did so much better than Gore did in any of the 2000 debates, and Bush seemed way worse. I made a vow about halfway through that I will not again complain about how Kerry was an unfortunate choice for the Democrats, blah-blah-blah.

I wish I had time to blog about this more, but I'm off to Iowa City at like 7:30 AM tomorrow and have a hundred things to do. Nina, incidentally, also made a pre-debate dinner for me, and, as usual, it was beyond delicious.

9 comments:

jnsys said...

Sweet! Here's another Iowan who totally thinks Kerry kicked ass. Bush really did repeat the same lines over and over again, whenever he didn't have a ready answer, whether it applied or not. Hope my mom watched... maybe this will change her mind.

jnsys said...

Oh, and have fun in I.C.! Say hi from jnsys!

Anonymous said...

I concur, Jeremy. I really think it was a shining moment. Kerry came off really well...articulate and unapologetic. And he didn't pull any assy Gore moves like sighing loudly into the microphone. Bush? Well, he came off as Jo-Jo the Monkey Boy.

Anonymous said...

Americans who watched the debate seem to agree. What's depressing is that this does not seem to have changed peoples' overall preferences, though apparently this is normal immediatelly following a debate (but one that was so clearly lopsided?!)... See:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/Vote2004/debate_poll_040930.html

Anonymous said...

Sorry, i was out stumping for ralph nader and missed the debate. Of the 30 households I visited, 9 reported they were watching or had tuned into the debate or were planning to tune in. From this survey I can extrapolate that most people still cling to the belief that even without ketchup or oil money, anyone can become the President and control the multi-trillion dollar entwined global economy. ONLY IN AMERICA,BABY, ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Anonymous said...

Of course Kerry kicked ass! He actually has positions on the issues. Bush's only position is, "I ran head first into a brick wall, but at least I was resolute!"

Anonymous said...

Wait... Bush did worse in this debate than last year? Last year I thought he was a complete imbecile. This year he just seems like typical Bush. Have I gotten so accustomed to having an idiot as head of state that I no longer notice how dumb he really is?!?!?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Just wait 'til tonight's VP debate between Honest John and Tricky Dick!

jnsys said...

You might want to check this out: Is Bush Wired?