Sunday, October 05, 2003

lick the tins? lick the tins?

Lately I've taken to having my RealJukebox program set to shuffle, meaning that plays some MP3 from my hard drive at random. It just now started playing this Irish-sounding cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love" that is listed on the file as being from a band called Lick The Tins. I have no idea how this file got onto my hard drive, especially since I am not one of these promiscuous illegal music-downloader types, but instead am extremely scrupulous in all matters of copyright. I wonder if there is some kind of win_lickthetins.exe worm that has made its way onto my machine.

Anyway, I just googled "lick tins help falling love" and hit I'm Feeling Lucky, which retrieved the following:
"In 1986, a quartet from London scored their one and only hit with a clever cover version of a song associated with Elvis Presley, Can't Help Falling in Love. Presley's version sold a million and was a US top 3 hit in January 1962 and reached Number One in the UK. 24 years later, the exceptional cover version by Lick the Tins didn't do quite as well as that, although it spent two months in the UK singles chart, but then Lick the Tins were almost unknown before the single was released, and returned to anonymity not long afterwards. This is their story, and this album features (almost) their entire output... [more]"
Interesting, to be sure, but it doesn't really do anything toward solving the mystery of how this file ended up on my computer. I have zero recollection of ever hearing this song before in my life, or of Lick The Tins.

As an incidental matter, I don't know this about Madison, but basically you can't swing a cat within the city limits without hitting some guy who is in a Pogues or other Irish/Celtic cover band.

No comments: