Monday, June 06, 2005
the complanate culinary learning curve of jeremy freese
While a woman I went to graduate school with recently won $100,000 in a cooking contest, I cannot microwave popcorn without starting a fire. An especially annoying thing about last night's debacle is that I hadn't made microwave popcorn for more than a year, although only belatedly did I remember why: because the last time I did, the bag also burst into flames. My smoke alarm didn't go off, which puzzled me at first, but I think what happened is that I jarred the battery loose when I beat it to get it to stop during the First Popcorn Fire.