Friday, April 15, 2005

come on, feel the noise. or, at least, come on watch jeremy make a fool out of himself and creep people out.

Bloggger dinner at Tom's last night (photos, including two of the remarkably photopathogenic yours truly, here). Tom cooked a fabulous-fabulous meal, so good that it had me licking the plate like some kind of feral cat when I was done. Among the evening's conversational highlights were Nina regaling us all with songs from the musical Chess and stories about how her daughters used to play "Cold War Conflict" with the special "Behind the Iron Curtain" Playmobil set she bought them one Xmas.

Meanwhile, I kept trying to convince attendees to join the sociologists at karaoke night next Wednesday, especially Tonya, who has an impressive home karaoke setup of her own (scroll to photo at bottom of link). I told them that The Divine Ms. Carey-oke herself is leaving Madison even sooner than I am, and so who knows what the future of Madison Sociology karaoke is.

This got me thinking of the karaoke legacy I will be leaving behind when I follow the crimson brick road to Harvard later this summer. Judging by the karaoke recaps, Madison will apparently be a much less disturbing place without me. Here are excerpts from Careyoke's Official Recaps from the last two sociology karaoke excursions I intended:

(1) Then the Growly Twins, Dorotha and Jeremy, with “Take me to the river.”
- Someone wrote something suggestive…
- I wrote something far less suggestive, sort of: “Growling is their fave.” Jeremy basically gave up on any semblance of singing and growled the whole thing. “Competitive growling.”
- “Most disturbing performance EVER.”
(2) Then I heard some careyoke reminiscing…
- Lisa: “Remember when Jeremy was Earl?” So what does she do? She sings “Goodbye, Earl” of course! And Jeremy plays Earl again. Hilarity ensues…
- Earl explains to us what the FFA is and argues Earl’s innocence. Then he “dies.” Though he does and then is resurrected (Happy Easter!) so that for every new chorus he can die again. Seriously. You need to see this. It is crazy. I’ll try to describe…During one death sequence, he knocks over the stool on the stage, drops the microphone, and flails around so much that Lisa has to get off the stage.
- Ang adds: “Awesome convulsions!”
- Lisa then puts her foot on his stomach, indicating how she has conquered Earl. Well done!
(3) Jeremy’s shirt says ‘Bacon is a vegetable’ and a guy [Justin] has Jeremy’s initials shaved in his head for which Jeremy paid him $90. [Apparently, Dorotha brokered the deal and took at 10% cut of the profits.]
(4) “Jeremy & Carey[oke] – Mama Said Knock You Out – Jude says this is the whitest performance he’s ever seen. [Inconceivable!] It’s not clear what Jeremy’s job is except to say “out!” and “justice” ... Jeremy gets a high five from old guys [in the audience].” I think this starts their constant post-performance high-fiving for the evening. Why I didn’t get high-fived and Jeremy did makes no sense to me. Maybe it was congratulating him on taking credit for a performance he added to little to. Or maybe it was just because he got to be on stage with me.
(5) “Jeremy attempts [and succeeds!] to bribe the Karaoke Kid workers [with $10] to play ‘Stacy’s Mom.’” [...] This sets new records on the creep-o-meter.

10 comments:

Ken Houghton said...

Quibble: The American version of Chess is rewritten beyond recognition. The original is the one that made Murray Head a "one-hit wonder" for the second time.

jeremy said...

I'm not sure which one Nina is completely obsessed with. Was there a Polish version?

Anonymous said...

OMG! Jeremy has captured a feral cat in that one picture.

Tom Bozzo said...

Anon.: Milo the cat sometimes likes to play-act being feral, but if it isn't obvious from the picture, he hasn't exactly been on a subsistence diet of rodents and songbirds.

Anonymous said...

Stacy's mom has got it going on. She's all I want, and I've waited for so long. Stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me? I know it might be wrong, but I'm in love with Stacy's mom.

And who wouldn't be? Did you see that video? Rachel Hunter is HOT!!!

jeremy said...

My rendition probably would have been less creepy had I not insisted on shouting "Your mom is next!" to the crowd every so often.

Anonymous said...

Tom, extend my apology to Milo for calling him feral. I am not a cat expert, obviously. I thought feral cats were sleek, fat and sassy from gorging on all those baby birds? Jeremy the Cat Master and Milo look to both be contented in each other's company.

Anonymous said...

Question: does Milo roam? Does he gorge on birds? Is he sassy? Even a single "yes" to the above makes him a candidate for feral status, no?

Anonymous said...

My opinion is that it really doesn't matter whether Tom's cat was "really" feral or not. It was still wrong for Jeremy to shoot it.

Tom Bozzo said...

Rest assured the cat is alive, well, and as of this writing gorging himself on Iams Weight Control [sic] cat food.