Monday, May 14, 2007

the boy detective unplugged

I unplugged my computer from the network and went twelve consecutive hours yesterday without checking my e-mail or otherwise using the Internet, whether from that computer, my laptop, or my phone. Sure, I've gone twelve hours without checking my e-mail various times recently, but yesterday was twelve hours in which I actually spent most of the time working on a computer. Superhuman (or, at least, superjeremian) will and essentially constant supervision from Sara was involved.

I'm going to try the same thing today. I've taken care of my e-mails for today and resolved there is nothing that could arrive in my inbox that needs to be dealt with today (or, at least, nothing that has given me fair warning that it could arrive and need to be dealt with today). I feel like I'm taking a last lungful of breath before plunging myself underwater for some David-Blaine-like feat of human endurance.

As regular readers of this blog know, I am seeking more broadly to combat some of my more compulsive tendencies regarding the Internet. Plus I have to get a draft of this paper I'm working on done. So, world, root for me. I will let you know if I succeed or, if I fail, the gory details of my lapse of will.

8 comments:

sara said...

I am cheering you on! And I am ready to take you out for a fancy cocktail (a very, very good one) tonight, when you succeed!

Anonymous said...

That IS inspiring!

Unknown said...

Go, Jeremy, go! You can do it!
Gimme a "J", gimme an "e", gimme a "r"...

Lucy said...

Go, SuperJeremy! :)

H said...

You are a brave, brave man, far braver than I could ever be, and an inspiration to us all.

Eszter said...

Good job, very impressive!!

the gory details of my lapse of will

Possibly on my blog.;)

Anonymous said...

how do you check references without internet? Can you write for the whole day without needing to check references online? What's your strategy to avoid this?

Anonymous said...

He can't 'hear' you, 12 AM. The internet's off -- send good vibrations.