Tuesday, April 24, 2007

wiinner!

wiinner!

Other than some additions to my Magic 8-ball collection, I've never been able to buy anything on eBay because of my fear of the winner's curse--the idea that the person who "wins" an auction is the person who most ridiculously overvalues the thing being auctioned off. But, I cast all that aside and bought the very first Wii I bid on, with the very first bid I made. I am not going to share the price, so I can remain ignorant as to the degree to which I overpaid. I didn't seem inconsistent with my brief inspection of prevailing rates, and was definitely efficient.

8 comments:

tina said...

You are going to LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

For a boy detective, you ain't too good at covering your tracks! I found out how much you paid in about 3 minutes. But I shall respect your blog privacy and not reveal the price. Suffice it to say, you did not get juked.

Anonymous said...

Morning Jeremy! It's the "little" sister of your college buddy and sister-in-law of your grad school buddy. We bought a Wii around Christmas. Hubby bought a package from Toys-R-Us that came with 5 games. We returned 3 of those games to Target and Wal-Mart and got a different game and groceries, respectively. We play the Wii sports the most. Next time you come through here (hint, hint), we'll have to play.

jeremy said...

Tina: I'm enthusiastic!
CS: You are right that I didn't know how easy it was to track things on eBay, but I guess I'm not worried about someone willing to spend those 3 minutes finding out how much I paid.
FR: Great to hear from you! I do need to come to Nebraska at some point, so I can cross it off my states visited list.

Hazy Dave said...

Your incredibly clever user name on eBay may prevent some of your slower stalkers from tracking your purchases... Not that I'm one of those. Anytime you pay 18% less for something than the last one they sold, you're probably doing okay. With your track record of losing stuff, I'm glad to see shipping insurance is included on this thing.

jeremy said...

HD: I had no idea one could look up all somebody's purchases on eBay. I'm glad I use a different account for my codpiece collection.

Bad Runner said...

Luckily, the entries eventually expire. Lord knows what people would think of my collection of purchases on ebay.

Ribs said...

Now I'm curious to know what you paid...