Sunday, April 29, 2007

despite this short segue into badgers nostalgia, my first and eternal loyalty will always be to the iowa hawkeyes

A University of Wisconsin football player was taken third overall in the NFL draft today. While many of the top picks actually went to New York to attend the draft in person, the Wisconsin player did not, opting instead to go fishing. An aunt of his, however, drove all the way from Germantown, Wisconsin--which, come to think of it, is the most Wisconsin-y town name in the entire state--did:

wisconsin aunt

I forgot to mention this, but when I was in New York City the last time, I joined a former Madison colleague (now at NYU) and went to this bar that apparently pulls out all the stops whenever the Wisconsin Badgers are on television*, including putting a big inflatable Bucky Badger out front:

badger bar in nyc!

I had heard you can find everything in Manhattan, but I wasn't expecting a bar devoted to University of Wisconsin sports. I don't know how many Big 10 schools are represented by comparable venues in NYC.

* Yes, this was the only full evening I had in New York on the trip, and I spent it watching University of Wisconsin basketball on television.

7 comments:

H said...

I don't know about NYC, but I was amazed (and delighted) to discover that there are bars devoted to the Hawkeyes here in the Twin Cities. It's not like there are bars devoted to the Minnesota Gophers in Iowa City.

AK said...

Please post the address of the bar. Although I am not the least bit interested in UW sports, I may need an occasional Bucky fix once I move back to the NYC area. Too bad the inflatable version doesn't seem to truly capture the delicate meanness to cuteness ratio that characterizes the real Bucky. And by real Bucky I mean the cartoon version, not the strange, flat-headed mascot costume.

Anonymous said...

When I was in NYC a few weeks ago, I met a couple of UW alums at a bar. They were telling me all about Mad River, and about how they have brats and New Glarus beer, etc, and I got all nostalgic. Then I realized that I live in Madison.
JJ

carly said...

You know, there's a Germantown, Pennsylvania, too. I've always felt it was one of the most Pennsylvania-y town names out there and that the Wisconsin version was obviously inferior. But I'm Pennsylvania German so perhaps I'm biased.

Anonymous said...

I was never much into UW sports, but every time I see a Bucky sticker in a car window - which happens with shocking regularity here in Palo Alto- I, too, get all nostalgic.

And I agree with AK that the costume Bucky's flat head is bizarre. It's like they're trying some weird visual illusion with perspective, and the illusion totally failed.

Anonymous said...

"Indiana, Our Indiana"

Indiana, our Indiana
Indiana, we're all for you!
We will fight for the cream and crimson
For the glory of old IU
Never daunted, we cannot falter
In the battle, we're tried and true
Indiana, our Indiana,
Indiana we're all for you! I-U!

"Indiana Fight"

Fight for the Cream and Crimson,
Loyal sons of our old I. U.
Fight for your Alma Mater,
and the school you love so true.
Fight for old Indiana,
See her victories safely through,
GO! I.U! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
For the glory of old I. U.!

jeremy said...

I have, by this point, collected a number of ties to Big Ten universities.

No way if Bucky wasn't a long tradition would he be a mascot designed today, both for the flat head and the beady eyes.