Monday, April 02, 2007

dispatch from los angeles

So, my flight from LA was scheduled for 7:30 this morning. I arranged for the cab to pick me up at six, and had things packed so that I could set my alarm for 5:30am and still be ready to go in time. Of course, it took me being awake packing and whatever until 2:30am so that I could have the luxury of sleeping in until 5:30am.

Instead, at 4:30am, my phone rang. I presumed somebody I loved was dead. This didn't mean I was able to rouse myself fast enough to actually answer the phone, but I did immediately check my voicemail. The message was an automated voice from Orbitz, which I had used to buy my ticket. I heard the words "flight status" and was less annoyed, as I could understand the utility of getting a notification of a flight delay even if it did come at 4:30am. However: Orbitz was calling to tell me my flight was on time.

I presume I checked some option or something about giving my updates by my cel phone, although I don't remember this and certainly didn't know the result would be my getting phone calls at 4:30am.

P.S. I'm too tired to write a separate post about this, but: For followers of my diet, we are through week five. My weigh-in was down three pounds, meaning I'm down 12 pounds overall. I will not, however, be tracking during this week's (Sunday through Thursday) travels, but I will endeavor to remain faithful to the basic plan. I'm not sure how I will count this in terms of my general ten-week committment; it will probably depend on how well I do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you don't want to converse with strangers, I'll give you the cliff notes. If you visited the WWOL message boards you would hear over and over and over again that WW is a lifestyle, not a diet, and that one week off plan won't kill you or derail your efforts. You just do it and move on. I say count it as part of the 10 weeks, especially since you've made such great progress.

Live it up in LA, but remember that water is your friend (both because of the diet and the sun).

Anonymous said...

Less time in bed = more time rushing around being active. It could do your diet wonders! You might come to be thankful of that voicemail on day ...

Lucy said...

I ticked that box last time too, and regretted it, even though I didn't get woken up at 4.30am. I just got like 6 messages saying my flight was delayed, some of which came after I'd arrived at my destination.

Excellent work with the diet! I think you should count this week too, as long as you don't do something like eat nothing but sugar, as I did this weekend.

Gwen said...

And have a great time in L.A.! I hope you like it because I am selfish and having you like L.A. is in my self-interest.