Friday, January 20, 2006

escapist

Several days after a deadline listed in a reminder marked URGENT, I finally filled out the form selecting my book for the Honoring the Faculty program at Madison. The program allows a recently promoted faculty member to select a book that will be shelved in the library with a nameplate commemorating the faculty member's promotion. My choice: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon (see posts here and here and here). The brief explanation submitted along with it: "While I am not sure it is best for a faculty member currently on leave to select a book whose principal theme is 'escape,' Chabon's novel is the most beautiful thing I read during my time as an assistant professor at Wisconsin. My reason for choosing a novel is that I am very happy that, when an assistant professor, I did not let all the reading required for my research and teaching stop me from continuing to indulge in the pleasures of fiction."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised it wasn't already in that library....

Brayden said...

Excellent choice Jeremy. That book helped ease me through the toughest phase of my dissertation research.

I'm also surprised that it wasn't already in the library.

jeremy said...

I presume it is in the library. I mis-wrote if I made it sound like it couldn't already be in the library. I don't know if choosing it means they will buy another copy or just put my name in an existing copy.

jlp said...

Nice selection.

I enjoyed your description of why you chose it.

eszter said...

Neat reason given, nice approach.