Monday, January 09, 2006

blogback mountain

I saw Brokeback Mountain last night. I thought the first hour or so was remarkably boring for a film so widely praised, but then was much more compelling after that. I was even a little teary-eyed a couple of times toward the end, although less so than for The Notebook. And, of course, having been raised on a farm with sheep, I have a soft spot for any film featuring them so prominently.

I see on the web that there is a webpage for memorable Brokeback Mountain quotes. I was surprised by this, because it seemed to me like there was only one memorable quote in the entire film. Which is, in fact, the first one listed on the webpage: "I wish I knew how to quit you."

As I thought about that line later, I decided that the most plausible context of my saying these same words would not be to any human being--male or female, cowpersonly-employed or otherwise--but rather I could envision myself saying them out loud to my monitor, especially if it was as I had a web browser open to this blog.

Update: I haven't engaged in any activity on the Tradesports futures-market site lately, but I just saw the story on CNN.com that a theater in Utah has reneged on its plan to show Brokeback Mountain, and decided that the current odds giving it only a 53% of taking home the Best Picture Oscar were still too low.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Girls don't fall in love with 'fun'".

nina said...

I suppose I'm not surprised at your reaction to the first hour. You like your crescendo in the first five minutes, preferably with a corpse and a devastating storm thrown in. Wait, there was at least one dead sheep near the beginning! And a storm!

What I thought was so grand (in that first hour of BB M) was the subtle, sensual presentation of mounting feeling toward a person you know should not be the object of your affection. True, I am these days especially favorably inclined toward this thread.

Anyway, rest of the world: don't listen to Jeremy on this one. The movie is a gem through and through.

jeremy said...

You're right, that was a good line as well.

Anonymous said...

The fake timing of these posts is getting crazy! Did you see the movie last night or have you yet to see it, but will see it tonight ("last night" when the post is actually dated)?

Anonymous said...

You know, Jeremy, if you remove the date and time stamp display from the theme, it's possible that people will stop yapping about it.

Anonymous said...

Until it disappears into the pay archive, the article from the Salt Lake Tribune has a bit more of the story on the theater that pulled the film. My favorite part is Larry Miller (owner of the Utah Jazz and numerous car dearerships, among other things) professing to have no earthly idea what the film is about.

Anonymous said...

I rather enjoy the "fake timing of these posts".

Belle Reve said...

Here's the line from the book that holds me: If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.

jeremy said...

BR: You are absolutely right. So now it's up to three memorable lines.

Anonymous said...

I think fake timing is a "go". That way Blogger can fool around more with facts and fantasies. This isn't a reference site.
Readers beware and all's right ...

Anonymous said...

where is wednesday's post?

Anonymous said...

48 hour day blog?

jeremy said...

RWS: I don't remember who says that, or when.

Ang said...

Jack says it, right before the "I wish I knew how to quit you" speech.