Sunday, January 22, 2006

emily's reasons why not


(photo from olden days of karaoke: two faculty members torment an unknown bystander with their bitter rendition of "Girls Just Want to Have Fun")

A few weeks ago, I was at a T stop whose advertising space was completely overtaken by ads for the TV show "Emily's Reasons Why Not." The signs alternate between posters featuring a photo of the show's star and posters giving something to be read as a Reason Why Not. One was: "Because No One Forgets Bad Karaoke." Which is yet another example of a totally incorrect karaoke stereotype.

The truth: People readily forget bad karaoke. It's creepy karaoke that permanently scalds onto others' minds.

I was at the same T stop last night and saw all the posters were gone, replaced by a campaign promoting some nonpulpy orange juice. So then I googled "Emily's Reasons Why Not" and learned that it had been cancelled after just one episode. Apparently the show did not add to the list of All I'm Missing By Not Having Television.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you already cover the "truthiness" of your statement that you don't have a television? Having one in your closet doesn't count?
-Nan the Fan

jeremy said...

Nan: Note how I said "television" and not "a television" because of confusion on this point. It is indisputable that I don't have "television", even though I do own a television set. I could use this television set to obtain television if I hooked it up.

Anonymous said...

one may easily forget badkaraoke, but this went beyond the merely bad. my recollection of your rendition of "girls just wanna have fun" is that i felt like all of the women in the room should take out restraining orders against you. that is not a memory that one can shake without hypnosis.

jeremy said...

I didn't know hypnosis could repress memories; I thought it could only unrepress them.

jeremy said...

RWS: I do watch DVDs, but generally on my monitor. I do have a DVD player that isn't hooked up to the TV I don't have hooked up.

Gil said...

Haha. Emily's Reasons Why Not was canceled because the NBC presidents, who put out a HUGE advertising campaign, never read the script. When they finally got around to reading it, they were like, 'Wow, this totally sucks.' And canceled it.