Wednesday, July 07, 2004

dispatch from santa monica, #2

A couple readers have asked, "Am I in Santa Monica on vacation?" Alas, no, I have not yet reached the stage of male-spinsterhood where I go off to exciting places for vacations by myself. Instead, I'm here for medical school: the RAND Summer Institute's Mini-Medical School for Social Scientists. Whatever it takes medical students four years to learn, social science Ph.D.'s can apparently get all caught up in two days. No word yet--but already a substantial waiting list--on whether I will be allowed to legally prescribe drugs after it's over.

I'm off now to find the RAND compound where the medical school will be taking place. I really have no idea what to expect. There is a workshop on Thursday and Friday that was the main reason for my coming out here, but when I saw I could extend the trip by two days and have med school behind me, I couldn't pass it up. I hope they give us warning before they wheel out the cadavers!

No comments: