Saturday, July 07, 2007

there was something about the way he looked when they were talking on tv about his history of insanity and pedophilia that i thought was kind of cute

TMZ.com story: JonBenet Murder Suspect Busted for Domestic Violence. I can not be the only person to see this story whose first thought was: John Mark Karr has a girlfriend? I can understand O.J. Simpson having a string of post-verdict girlfriends, but John Mark Freaking Carr? He was single--albeit formerly married--when he "confessed" to having killed JonBenet Ramsey. Is there no species of celebrity that fails to make a man more appealing to at least some women?

Incidentally, few guilty pleasures make me feel more genuinely guilty than whenever I read TMZ.com. It sort of distills everything that is complacent and bad about our celebrity obsessed culture, and makes me think it's just a matter of time before the Visigoths come and plow us into the soil. Which doesn't mean I didn't enjoy seeing video of Bill Maher looking very awkward at the approach of a camera crew and reporter as he was leaving a restaurant after a date with a companion who has a forthcoming book about her sexual exploits with celebrities and whose nickname from her time in hip-hop circles is apparently "Superhead." (For the record, I noticed nothing unusual about the size or shape of her cranium in the video.)

3 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

"I can not be the only person to see this story whose first thought was: John Mark Karr has a girlfriend?"

My thought too. It just goes to show... there's someone out there for everybody... but...

Women go out with O.J. Simpson, you know....

halojones-fan said...

I...don't think that the cranium is the "head" they're talking about...

carly said...

My brother does a bunch of webdesign stuff for tmz.com. So you can just think of visiting it as doing him a favor, and then no need for guilt. You can just let my brother feel guilty for working for The Beast then.