Saturday, November 19, 2005

(orlando) i got the some-day-my-prince-will-come-but-until-then-bibbiti-bobbiti blues

I'm in Orlando for the Gerontology Society of America meetings. Tonight I went with a group of people to the House Of Blues at "Downtown Disney." You might wonder how Disney goes about Disneyfying the already credibility-suspect House of Blues and tonight the secret was made plain as soon as we were seated: for, lo, there isn't actually blues at the Disney House of Blues. Instead, what's playing in background is neither blues nor loud enough for you to really hear ver well even though it was blues. According to our server, they do have live blues three times a week (Thursday through Saturday), but then only after 11pm. And, tonight, we stayed around 'til past 11 so we could hear the live blues at the House of Blues. But it wasn't blues at all; it was basically an especially well-meaning flavor of zydeco, with a woman whaling away at a wearable washboard as its main instrumental highlight.

The House of Blues does have a music venue next door which has various acts come play. The Christian-turned-crossover-turned-Christian-turned-autotribute metal band Stryper, for instance, is on their November schedule. As is Cyndi Lauper, and I shouted something at a man out front who said something mocking about her (yes, I really did this). Tonight, however, the featured act was Biz Markie, with tickets priced at $45. I told the server that while we weren't going to the show, I would gladly play at least twice that for a picture of myself with Mr. Markie. She expressed some skepticism of whether I was just making up my enthusiasm for Biz Markie, upon which I immediately provided an essentially perfect rendition of the chorus of "Just a Friend" (yes, I really did this). Unfortunately, she came back and told us that Biz Markie had apparently cancelled his performance for this evening, so no photo opportunity would be available.

10 comments:

Brady said...

You seem surprised by the wearable washboard. Is there any other kind?

(Seriously - I've never seen one used as anything but an instrument. Did y'all use 'em on the farm up there in Iowa?)

Yes, I have a washboard. And I can play it. The trick is to use fingerpicks, the kind you'd use to play a banjo or lap steel, to get a really nice tone out of it.

Also, the drummer from the North Mississippi Allstars has been known to mic up a washboard and run it through a wah-wah pedal, which sounds way cooler than you might think.

That concludes my installment of "Way Too Much About Washboards."

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all, anyone that's ever seen you in a bar-type setting will totally believe that you really shouted at a stranger for dissing Cyndi. You don't have to work to hard to convince us. Second, why has Biz Markie never been done at karaoke??? Is "Just a Friend" not in the books? Third, is there going to be a karaoke event when you come to Maddy for your big big presentation (no pressure, or anything)?? -Jessie J.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever been to the House of Blues anywhere else? My roommate and I refer to HOB as the House of Everything But Blues. I've never been there for anything but concerts, but I can say that in that context there certainly are no Blues to be found.

jeremy said...

Sarahliz: You know, that's a brilliant point. You've caught me in a fallacious causal inference.

Jessie J.: Believe me, I've looked for "Just a Friend" more than once. And there have definitely been discussions about the best date for karaoke during my return visit. You must attend.

Teddy: ?

Ang said...

I think Teddy's trying to hint at the idea that you might have designs on a friend of yours...?

Teddy, correct me if I'm wrong.

jeremy said...

Oh, well then, um, no.

Anonymous said...

I would guess that JF's Mother used a ringer washer but never a washboard. But we do have a great blues bar in Des Moines, "Blues on Grand". Check it out.

jeremy said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure my mother did use a washboard growing up. But, when I was growing up, we had a real washing machine, albeit one that was made of wood and powered by oxen.

I'm familiar with washboards as just being rectangular things.

Anonymous said...

JF: Good answer!

Anonymous said...

Was there an original "Just A Friend" that Biz Markie sampled for his song, or his the original?

If it's the former, I would say that should belong at the top of your list of 80s atrocities.