Wednesday, November 09, 2005

i think if the president ever got to know me, he'd like me. maybe he'd even give me a nickname and say i was doing a heckuva job here at harvard.

From CNN.com:
[Virginia gubernatorial candidate] Jerry Kilgore got a boost Monday from President Bush, who made a last-minute dash into Virginia to urge die-hard conservatives to help turn out voters for the former attorney general.

"The thing I like about this fellow is he grew up on a farm," Bush said in a brief stop on his return from a South American trade mission. "He doesn't have a lot of fancy airs."
Reading In Cold Blood the other night had been reminiscing a lot about growing up on a farm. [Spoiler warning not for In Cold Blood and Capote] The book is about a farm family that is murdered by two men who believed (erroneously) that there was $10,000 in a safe in the house. A nice thing about my family and our little house on the prairie, I suppose, is that no one ever would have had any delusions that we had a bunch of money in a safe somewhere. Which doesn't mean that my mother is free from worries about criminal victimization, much of which seems to be the result of a knack she has for being able to adapt on-the-fly the things she sees in urban crime dramas to sinister scenarios that could unfold in middle-of-nowhere Iowa.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not if he could read your November 4th post.

ifuichu

Anonymous said...

Or pretty much any other post.

jeremy said...

The president doesn't read my blog. It's like the newspapers; aides summarize it for him.

Anonymous said...

I wish they'd summarize them for me. Save so much time.

Anonymous said...

Are you going to see the biopic about Truman Capote?
What are the nicknames people have given you? What nickname would the pres give you?

Anonymous said...

Was that the first time you read In Cold Blood, or just a re-reading?