Saturday, August 26, 2006

(manson, ia) dispatch from darkness

gazebo office (day)
(me, in the gazebo, today)

gazebo office (night)
(me, in the gazebo, tonight)

I am writing this from the gazebo in the middle of the park in the middle of town, which I seem to have made my office for this trip. It's like 11pm and I am being eaten alive by mosquitos, all for the sake of e-mail and blogging.

A kid who lookd like he was in fourth grade or so just ran up to me from a house half a block away."Who are you?" the kid asked.
"Who are you?" I replied.
"Who are you?"
"Who are you?"
Then the kid ran away.

Update, five minutes later:
Turns out I had to post this in haste because the kid was part of a group of older kids who were engaged in some kind of nighttime rock fight that began moving toward the gazebo at a speed at which I was uncomfortable. So now I am doing this update from my car. I suppose one of the kids could hit my car with a rock. If so, I will drive across the park grass and run him down. I would have never said something like that a year ago, but living in the city and on the East Coast: it toughens a boy up.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

The suspense is killing me. Are you still alive?

Anonymous said...

...and is the 10-year-old?

Anonymous said...

who's taking all of these pictures? do you have a posse complete with photographer?

Anonymous said...

You're lucky the marauding skateboard gang wasn't out, too, but maybe it was too early for them. I used to see them at 3:00 a.m. when I got off work. Manson has some MEAN streets.....
~pj

Anonymous said...

Oh, you didn't pick up this attitude up in the city. It's all you; just need a little kid in Iowa to try it out on!

It's such a JF story! Especially when the gang appears and you must flee.

Anonymous said...

Why isn't Iowa "IW" instead of "IA" ..

AaronSw said...

Is it just me or do you have an endless supply of geography/geographical culture-related shirts?

Anonymous said...

See now, if you had been a bit nicer, you might have found yourself some new playmates in your childhood town. Regression at home is understandable, especially as the baby in a big family.

Anonymous said...

But you feel bad about saying it: You can take the boy out of the midwest but you can't take the midwest out of the boy. Erm, Cambridge = big city??