Wednesday, August 02, 2006

dispatch from madison

shih tzu magazine snip 1shih tzu magazine snip 3
(images from one of Sal's Shih Tzu magazines)

I am in Madison. The name Salvador, it turns out, translates alternatively as "savior" or "picks Jeremy up late from the airport." Madison's airport has been recently renovated with a Frank Lloyd Wright theme, and I have to say that, given the extra opportunity to tour the airport facilities and grounds, however, I do have to say I think the airport people deserve props (pun! ha!) for doing such a stylish job.

I am staying at Sal and Julieta's. The name Jeremy, it turns out, translates alternatively as "the kind of chowderhead who will call you out on his blog after he e-mails you last-minute asking to stay at your place" and "he'll also ask to borrow clothes from you after he shows up later at your door having inexplicably left his carry-on at the office and says he's too tired to go back."

Last time I was saying here, Julieta was in Mexico and the two Shih Tzu's were in Michigan. I'm sitting here playing with the Shih Tzus now. Shih Tzu, it turns out, translates alternatives as "pricey to keep professionally groomed" and "really freaking entertaining little things to have running around." I've thought maybe I could benefit from the structure and responsibility of having something to care for, although before I was thinking more along the lines of getting a plant or adopting a child. But maybe a pair of Shih Tzus is the way to go instead.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what do you get when you cross a Bulldog and a Shih Tzu?

jeremy said...

Why was Six Tzu afraid of Seven Tzu?

dorotha said...

good response, jeremy! that is the funniest joke i've heard in a long time.

on a different note, i would just like to advocate mutts instead of purebreds. purebreds have too many health problems, and it kinda breaks my heart. my brother and his wife had a boston terrier that had to be put down because of seizures (little dogs are prone to brain problems because of their teensy skulls). you can imagine the long conversations my family had when it turned out that i was having seizures, too.

Anonymous said...

Dude. You would never even take care of my cat, and now you plan to get two dogs?
-Corrie

Anonymous said...

You just want to deconstruct with the shih tzus.
(lame joke, I know, but someone was going to make it, so I figured I would get it over with).
-Corrie

Anonymous said...

while I'm all for adopting mutts, i have to say that my doggies are as healthy as can be. i've heard many times that 'purebred' dogs have issues, but my suspicion is that those cases are due to careless breeding. to the extent that a breeder is 'truly' into enhancing and promoting his/her breed they will produce well balanced dogs. puppy-mills, however, are a different story.

j, if you're serious about getting a dog, I would be happy to go shopping with you. ;-)

-sr

dorotha said...

no offense to your dogs, sal. in fact, i think it is pretty cool that you like dogs that look like they come from some special effects person's mind.

Anonymous said...

lol - for those interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/warxal/sets/1339771/

-sr