Tuesday, February 20, 2007

dispatch from evanston

I was in a hurry and so had fast food in the airport for breakfast. Then I got fish and chips for lunch here. I had a family-style dinner at a Chinese/Japanese restaurant. I also had a chocolate malt late this afternoon. I shared a dessert at dinner. And, as I was leaving the restaurant, I grabbed a couple of Hershey's kisses from a platter they had sitting out.

I remember meeting a friend's father who had to travel all the time for his job. He weighed like 400 pounds. I thought, "I bet if I had a job where I had to travel all the time, I would weigh like 400 pounds." Now I think if I had a job where I had to travel all the time, I would be lucky to keep myself at merely 400 pounds.

I'm enjoying my trip here, btw. They've put me up in a nice hotel. I wonder if there's room service...

Update: Meanwhile, I just got a text message from my alleged pal Sal up in Madison: Guess who I'm spending Wed evening with? Sarah Vowell! That's right baby, I'm spending some quality time with her (plus 100+ guests) at the Memorial Union Theater.

8 comments:

sal said...

I wonder if Ms. Vowell likes Mexican? ;-)

Anonymous said...

looking forward to seeing THE most popular blog sociologist

jeremy said...

There is no definition of popular for which I am "THE most popular blog sociologist." Plus, I think I prefer "blogging sociologist" or "sociologist who happens to have a blog" to "blog sociologist."

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Sarah have a twin sister, Amy? Why not track her down and see what happens next?

Anonymous said...

last i heard, amy is married and living in the northwest, isn't she?

Anonymous said...

Track Amy down anyway. Surely JF has no
(ahem) designs on Sarah -- and Amy just may help him over the -- um (maybe he can get a photo taken with her).

Anonymous said...

i heard there's an age distinction in your audience. People above 40 never heard of your blog, while every sociologist below 40 is your reader. I doubt that and did a survey based on unscientific and non-random sampling before and after your talk today. The sample size is 7. 3 of the respondents say, "yeah, it's funny!" 4 of them "never heard of it" or "who is Jeremy Reese? Oh, sorry, the speaker today." All of the respondents are below 40.
Anyway, a great talk today!

jeremy said...

Anon 12:40am: Thanks for the compliment on the talk and for the survey result. I don't think I've ever made a dramatic claim about the number of sociologists under age 40 who read my blog, but I have said that there is extreme age divide in what sociologists are familiar with my having a blog.