Wednesday, February 21, 2007

back in cambridge

I'm in bed, just like the blank slip of paper inside my fortune cookie predicted I would be. Aspirations of making a quick trip up to Madison faded after Carly downgraded her claims about being able to set up dinner with Sarah Vowell from "probably" to "maybe" and other people started offering comments about my prospects with Sarah's dizygotic twin Amy. You would be amazed at the number of times in my life I have made a remark that somebody has chosen to interpret as indicative of a crush and then that person has immediately followed up with something like, "She's out of your league. However, did you know she has a less appealing dizygotic twin who has a history of unaccountable taste in men? What about her?"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in bed...

Now don't you wish you were crawling into clean sheets, the sinks were all clean, the ties neatly hung on a rack, and tomorrow wasn't a laundry day? It is nice to come home to a clean place, especially if you bring a r/l friend. ;-) What would Sarah say?

Anonymous said...

Just imagine all the women who have remarked about you, in a way that's interpreted as indicative of a crush, and the person they've been conversing with has said, "Jeremy is out of your league. However, did you know there's another blogging sociologist who has a history of falling for women like you? What about him?"

Anonymous said...

According to Assassination Vacation, Amy is married and has a child. Which, I think, also puts her out of your league.
-TOK

Anonymous said...

Anon 8:54am, great response.
As to those who remark that way Jeremy, that is just harsh. I hope these are not people you call friends. Then again, maybe they meant, those people are in a league of their own way below your league, sort of like what Anon8:54am is suggesting. (Yo, Anons, could you come up with some more interesting names than Anonx:yzam, that's really tedious to type.)
To all those actually interested, I think Jeremy has moved on from blogging about his real crushes openly thanks to advice from his trusted friends. Uhm, or so I hope.

Anonymous said...

For today, Absolut, you can just call me btdt. ;) I'll work on a non-anon screen name in the future

Jay Livingston said...

I guess only liguists are interested in Vowell Substitution

Anonymous said...

(not to hijack the thread..) - btdt, what's wrong with btdt long term, is it already taken?

Anonymous said...

Because that name more aptly applies to this thread than my everyday experience as a blogger/commenter. :D

jeremy said...

I don't know what btdt stands for.

Jay: Great Vowell pun!

TOK: Yes, I know this about Amy since I have read Sarah Vowell's books. Which makes all the more strange this urging of me toward the married dizygotic twin.

Anonymous said...

This loses it's charm as I spell it out throughout the thread - been there, done that.