Saturday, March 04, 2006

(new york) example consequence of my being such a chronically lame friend

A friend of mine (let's call her Penny) called a couple weeks ago, and I haven't called her back. I've felt guilty about this, but I managed this guilt by resolving that I would call her--in addition to a few dozen other things I've let slide lately--soon after I got back from New York. So last night in New York I was hanging out with a mutual friend of ours who had moved to the city a couple years ago. When I asked him how his social life was, one of the things he mentioned is that he sees Penny regularly now. "Didn't you know? She's living in New York now." No, I didn't. Yes, I would have known this had I called her. No, it wasn't something where I could call her right then and see her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I called you a while ago and you never called me back. I don't live in NYC, however. Does that make me a non-friend? Or does that just make you an especially bad person when it comes to returning phone calls?