Tuesday, June 05, 2007

other than linking to it, no comment

CNN.com story: University of Wisconsin-Madison faces faculty exodus (longer AP story on same topic here)

Well, okay, I guess I will comment, but about the broader story and not with any pertinence for my own situation. As far as I have been able to discern from my admittedly distal and inexperienced perch, Wisconsin-Madison managed to become a great university despite being funded like a very good university because of superior administration. Then, it started being asked to try being great university funded like a good university, and that's been beyond what its superior administration can compensate for. It's kind of like having a clever trick for playing jacks that gets you all the way up to ninesies, but then somebody has you try for ten and everything just goes to hell.

No comments: