Tuesday, September 27, 2005

i don't have time for a proper post, so i thought i would just quick put up something that could change your life

I'm working on slides for a colloqium I'm doing for the sociology department here tomorrow. So, just: if you do a lot of work on your own machine, and you haven't installed Google Desktop 2 yet, do it now. Seriously, do it right now before you forget. You will thank me later, even more than you thanked me that time in the outback when I saved you from that pack of dingos. It's like Google, only it plumbs the bowels of your own computer instead of the drek of the 'Net. It finds stuff. Stuff you didn't entirely remember you had, and it does it fast. It also works way better than the original Google Desktop.

6 comments:

tina said...

I tried it, but it seemed to slow my startup, and my shut down process slowed to a halt, so I removed it and the problems went away. I thought the tool itself was great, but it seemed to be messing with this other stuff. Any insights?

Drek said...

"...instead of the drek of the 'Net."

You rang?

Anonymous said...

It doesn't work for me at all. Of course, I run Linux, so that might be it.

Anonymous said...

So, does it work for Apple products?

Anonymous said...

> So, does it work for Apple products?

Um, Apple has the good sense to build this kind of functionality right into the operating system. So while the short answer is "No" the right answer is "Yes, only much better."

Anonymous said...

I don't really feel like having all that info available in that way (to others especially). I downloaded it and tweaked the default settings considerably. I haven't used it since though.

I'm going to link to my Google World blog post here as I think it's relevant.:)