Friday, September 14, 2007

overheard

1.
"She's kind of nosy."
"That doesn't surprise me."
"It would surprise her. She's the kind of nosy where she would be appalled to hear that someone else was saying she was nosy."
"That's exactly the kind of nosy I am."

2.
"[Prominent sociologist] says that if you see a coincidence and you don't know how to explain it, there's a social network operating."
"I know a woman who has dated two dwarves. Is that a social network?"
"Did the dwarves know each other?"
"No, different cities, completely unrelated. If they knew each other, it wouldn't be much of a coincidence, would it?"

3.
"I heard you can play shoots and ladders online. But it's not S-H-O-O-T-S, is it?"
"It's C-H-U-T-E-S."
"What's a chute?"
"What do you mean, what's a chute?"
"I don't know what a chute is."
"It's like, um. It's like a slide. My apartment has a garbage chute down the hall."
"Yeah, but you don't call it that."
"Of course that's what I call it. It's not a garbage slide. It's not a trash tunnel."
"You haven't called it a chute before."
"That's true, but that's just because this is the first conversation I've had about it, ever."

6 comments:

Kieran said...

The proper name for the latter game is of course Snakes and Ladders. Sometimes I worry about Americans.

jeremy said...

I would be so excited if trash disposal in this building was handled by a giant garbage snake.

Anonymous said...

"Chutes on a plane, mother-botherer."

Just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

Kim

Anonymous said...

Only two? In the past couple of years, I've dated Competitive, Creative, Mercurial, and Driven.

jeremy said...

Kim: Even so, I can't stop thinking about the idea of a giant garbage snake. As far as I can tell, it's not patented.

RPS: You'll be ready when dwarf-dating becomes an Olympic sport.

Brady said...

I dunno, George Lucas might have a patent on giant garbage snakes, or at least trash compactor snakes. Then again, you could probably make the case that, it being a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, the patent has expired by now.