Wednesday, September 19, 2007

don't forget, mateys!

Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. So get out your eyepatch and your fake hand hook and threaten to swash the buckle of those you love today. Remember if you are low on inspiration and need to see some buccaneers, all you need to do is look on the sides of your buccanhead.*

Why am I not talking like a pirate in this post? Because I'm not talking in this post, and it's not International Type Like A Pirate Day. And I'd sooner slice off me dubloon with a cutlass than make ye a podcast.

(Speaking of which, TMZ.com now has this feature where you can leave audio comments on posts and listen to other people's audio comments. I'm not sure if I fully get podcasting, but I certainly do not get what would be fun about listening to random stranger's audio comments. I think I must place a higher premium on the efficiency gains from the 'skim' affordances of reading than many other people do.)

* Joke stolen from CC. Today is all about piracy, after all.

6 comments:

Ang said...

I feel like I missed the boat (hee) on this whole pirate thing. I'm not really interested in pirates or how they talk. But I think I'm the only person in the world like this. Now I know how my 6th grade music teacher felt when we would constantly get all excited about hip hop.

Seamonkey said...

Bummer - I forgot and my lecture could have been so much more exciting today. I am teaching Oceanography --it would have fit in perfectly!

Oh the missed opportunities....

carly said...

Ang: Apparently so has all of Europe, by the way. Rich & I entered what we thought was a hilarious parody song in a parody-song competition about pirates. We thought people would think it was funny like us, because, you know, pirates are just inherently funny. But apparently, this is not true in Europe (where most of the voters are from). The same, btw, can be said for Zombies.

Ang said...

Hmm, pirates and zombies as an American thing. I had no idea.

jeremy said...

Wait, zombies are funny? I think they are terrifying.

Captain Crab said...

You can steal jokes from me whenever you want.