Thursday, February 09, 2006

they make it look so easy

In a variety of contexts over the past month, I have heard the phrase "slam dunk"* used seemingly a hundred times to refer to situations that were easy, simple, or straightforward. The phrase, of course, has been common parlance for a long time, and I've probably heard it used closer to a thousand times in different conversations. And yet, I have never heard it used by someone who seemed like they could actually slam dunk a regulation basketball on a regulation court. Or, for that matter, even if you lowered the hoop by a foot.

* a.k.a. "slam dunker" in the idiolect of certain immigrant bloggers I could name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course, one can be a "slam dunker," if one can slam dunk...

nina said...

Typically I do not speak affectionately about commenters on blogs, but I do love Anon 9:52. I would have said I heart Anon 9:52, but personally, I would like to see heart as a verb on your hateful words list. Or is it somehow wrong to hate heart? I'm straying...

Anonymous said...

arrrr, cut it out out, all of you...