Thursday, July 21, 2005

jeremy, reviewer of soft drinks

All of a sudden they've added Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper to the vending machines downstairs. And, since the Diet Pepsi machine has lately taken to eating dollars, I decided to throw caffeinated caution to the wind and try it. I've been curious about DCVDP because, at least to my possibly-peculiar palate, Dr. Pepper already has at least a bit of cherry and vanilla flavor to it. And, lo: DCVDP tastes sort of like Diet Dr. Pepper that has been left sitting open on a counter for a day and then is re-carbonated. It's also for some reason the color of transmission fluid. Verdict: Thumbs down.

(And, yes, I know I shouldn't be drinking so much soda. Only those who go through some kind of religious or religious-like conversion can throw off all their vices at once, and so the soda vice is on hold while the my Weight Watchers offensive remains underway.)

8 comments:

mcd said...

i am drinking cherry 7up and it is DELIGHTFUL. and it only has 39 grams of sugar. nice, eh?

Rhymes With Scrabble said...

Diet Coke Zero made me start buying soda again. Anyway, Dad had an impressive array of citations on why it really isn't that bad for you. Although it looks like now that I'm on WW, I'm going to have to start buying my milk by the half gallon instead of the full, because I don't drink it with such abandon anymore (even though I already drank skim).

dorotha said...

dcvdp is truly disgusting. a friend shared his with me and i have to say that is one of the grossest things i have ever had in my mouth.

Talcott Parsons said...

I prefer to drink tea. It sure curbs my appetite.

Brayden said...

I didn't realize zombie sociologists drank anything but the blood of living, less well known sociologists...

I also have tried dcvdp and I agree with your and Doratha's assessment. I can't believe enough people buy that stuff to make it worth putting in the machines.

jnsys said...

Okay, my 11-year-old son likes it. Oh course, that could be because the first time he tasted it, it was ice cold, after a long day at ren-faire, and after breaking camp and cleaning up our camping area. Taste and smell bring back memories :) I, on the other hand, can't stand it either...

Sarah said...

DCVDP is cough syrup. Pure, unadulterated cough syrup with fizz. Sick. I've recently been hooked on Diet Coke with Lime. I wish I could find tea satisfying, but it doesn't come carbonated!

bryan smith said...

I have to give DCVDP a big thumbs up. I think it's pretty good. My theory is with diet soda that the longer the name, the better. For example, Diet Mountain Dew Code Red > Diet Mountain Dew. This works for most diet sodas, except for Diet Coke where the addition of lemon makes it taste like Pledge.